Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Such a fun surprise!

Can I just say I LOVE surprises? When someone takes the time to plan something to bring you sheer delight, it's a treasured moment for me. On the other hand, I also LOVE surprising people I love. It's so fun to plan something just right for someone to show how much you care.

I think the top three best surprises in my life have been when 1) a couple close friends in OK threw a surprise birthday for me because I'd never had one before, plus they pulled it off really well, 2) when Mikey proposed to me on our first trip to Oklahoma together...SO had no clue (I was actually nervous he was going to break up with me after meeting my family-haha), and 3) my most recent surprise is the week we came home from the hospital.

So we had Kaiden on Monday and came home Wednesday afternoon. That evening we were all settled in by nine o'clockish. I was sleeping in the recliner because of my stitches, and it was easier being there to get up to feed Kaiden rather than trying to roll out of my bed. Just as we had turned the lights out and got comfy, Mikey gets a phone call, and I hear him giving directions to someone about where we live. Hmm...

Then Mikey walks into the living room, and I ask who it was. He only tells me I have a visitor. Hmm..again. Who in the world would come visit me at 9 at night, knowing I just had a baby?? I asked him who it was, and he simply said it was someone that I hadn't seen in a while. I still no clue. So, he walks outside to make sure whoever was coming was headed to the right apartment. He left the door open as he walked out and a few moments later, sure enough my best girlfriend Deb, from Oklahoma, walks through my doorway! It was seriously like a
time-standing still moment. I couldn't believe she had come.

My response? I BURST into SOBBING tears (never my typical reaction-thank you hormones)that she had driven all day because she didn't want me to be alone (as far as someone I'm really close to) because my family couldn't come for the baby being born. What kind of awesome friend is that? She knew Mikey's family was here, but that it would be different not having someone on my side of the family here to share in the moments and help out. I got out of the recliner (I would have run if I could've) and hugged her like no tomorrow! She also brought our dear friend Tabitha to help her drive the 12 hrs straight through.

The funny part is that while we were in the hospital, she had text me the day before that she felt like jumping in the car and coming to see us. She couldn't stand not being there. As always, I said, "Well, get to jumpin'!". We always joke about me coming over ( 12 hr drive included) for dinner in Oklahoma, or her coming over to my house in Durango for coffee. So it was my usual response when she text me, but little did I know she was seriously doing it!

Thank you Deb and Tab for coming all that way just to be with us those first several days home. We didn't have to entertain, and you were so enjoyable with your company, laughs, and love! It meant the world to me! Love you guys!

(In all the excitement, we didn't get to take pictures of her visit, but this is from May at the baby shower my OK crew threw for us.)

1 comment:

  1. How cool Steph! It is great to have friends who are just that awesome. I am so glad they got to come and see you. I love your new blog look BTW

    ReplyDelete